In 1789 Daniel Asbury, a circuit-riding preacher came through this area preaching the gospel and inspired the formation of our church that today bears his name. The first congregation was organized in 1816 and met in homes. After the Civil War, Asbury Methodist Church was named and organized in 1863. The first church, a one-room frame building, was built in 1878 and was a church and school for 17 years. It was located on what is now Highway 27, near the Chuckwagon Grill.
In 1895 a second church, a one-room brick building was built. The land was purchased from Henry and Mary Shrum and from A. A. and M. M. Bynum. With the help of free laborers, W. F. Finger made and laid the brick for this building. Four classrooms were added in 1935. The building now used as the Scout Hut was built in 1948. It featured indoor plumbing, and was used as a chapel and Sunday School Classroom with 100 young adults.
The present church was constructed in 1952 by contractors Joe M. Shuford and Sons. The Rev. N. L. Oliver preached the first sermon on March 8, 1953. In 1967 a ten-classroom educational building was completed, and a new entrance tower and steeple were constructed.
In 1989 extensive renovations to the sanctuary, church offices, library, and other parts of the building were completed. There was a note-burning ceremony and rededication of the sanctuary on December 4, 1994.
May 2023 Asbury UMC disaffiliated from The United Methodist Church and became Asbury Methodist Church of Lincoln County, Inc.